I’m beginning to think that my border collie print was relatively easy compared to this one!
“Oh what fun it would be to do all that curly fur” I thought…. Thank goodness I have a very smooth haired dog to do next.
Here are some photos of the progress so far. Admittedly, this does still look a bit strange, and now the red is on there, little Boris seems to be receding somewhat! Luckily I haven’t cut the dog body out of the block yet, so will add some more depth on his chest and head when I do the eyes and nose. Hopefully he will come back to life then! Next step is the brick wall behind him, then the grass and then a bush on one side… I think its going to be about 14 colours in the end!
Ok, so not a real child, but our dog is our ‘kid’. Don’t know if anyone has seen the film The World According to Garp, with Robin Williams? There is a scene where him and his wife go to ‘look at the kids’ when they are sleeping. It gets me and my husband every single time (and seriously, we have seen this film countless times!), and we can’t look at each other for fear of absolutely sobbing, in that happy, “look what we made” kind of way. So we kind of got into the habit of saying ‘let’s look at the kid’ when our dog Tilly is looking especially gorgeous or cute. Yes, I know, us child free couples anthropomorphizing our pets…tch!
I have been meaning to do a print of our girl for ages, and here is a photo of the start of the block. This is for the main dog and the darker shadows in the floorboards. I will offset this onto another block to do the background floor with wood detail.
And this is what the little darling really looks like!
Been busy busy busy getting ready for my previous fair at York Art Markets (which was great!), so apologies for not posting for a while. Next up is Leeds Print Fair at the beginning of November in the Corn Exchange. Then, four more fairs in the lead up to Christmas! I will post about those in due course and show you new work that I am doing for them. In the mean time I thought I had better show you the last prints I have done, three winter scenes from the countryside here in the middle of England.
These will be available at the fairs and also on my new online shop – when I have finished setting it up (!) – within the next few weeks.
I’m doing another in my series of ‘botanical’ prints, this one is an Echinacea flower. They really do have such a lovely shape and are like huge, coloured in daisies.
I’ve finished the flower head so can now cut that out and finish the petals. I’m stupidly confident that I will be able to cover the over-inked bits at the bottom of the flower head. It is amazing what you can cover up though, even a smidge of white ink should help…famous last words.
Here’s the progress so far:
And this is the state of the flower block (looks like the dog has chewed it, as usual)…which I shall now cut out the dotty flower head to do two or three layers on the petals.