Work in progress for Open Exhibition at Rufford Abbey

Well…here goes – this is just one of the three images I am doing in this theme for the exhibition in November. I always find it so interesting to see what the carved block looks like (pretty strange and hacked at I usually think!) compared to the print it makes.
These photos are my first proofs to see if I have carved accurately and if they register correctly. This has taken me so much longer than my usual prints because I have preferred to use the reduction technique before. I’ve got to leave this one alone now or I will fiddle, fiddle fiddle, then end up chipping off a really important bit, prompting me to swear like the proverbial sailor…. This isn’t the finished colourway either, that will be another night of umming and ahhing, oh joy.
The image is from a photo of my mother that was taken in the 1950’s and the other two prints in this series are from the same ‘shoot’. The originals are in black and white so I wanted to make these images colourful like the typical illustrations of the era.

Apart from these particular images I need to make at least another 10+ for the exhibition. Should I continue in the theme of effectively ‘re-colouring’ family photos (I have some ides on that) or should I show other subject matter that I am interested in? This is my first exhibition and I am a ‘newbie’ at this, so am ever so slightly clueless… any thoughts would be most welcome!

Please excuse the darkness of the photos, I will scan the final images when they are done.

7 thoughts on “Work in progress for Open Exhibition at Rufford Abbey

• Tom November 1, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I think, the first 3 pictures, taken from the plate, could be in some way become more interesting than the last one. Perhaps you should let it flow a little bit more.

• inkydogpress October 6, 2013 at 8:00 pm

like it very much and look forward to seeing others in series… i like your idea of recolouring the family photos

1. Nancy Power October 7, 2013 at 12:17 am

Ooh thank you very much! I have been busy cutting and proofing today so feel like I am getting on with it. Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated!

• Laura Bloomsbury October 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm

love this era (I was born then) and this print in progress is fascinating in construction and detail

1. Nancy Power October 3, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Ooh thank you very much! I can’t wait to do the final prints, there are three in this series. I’m waiting for a delivery of paper, hopefully tomorrow, so I’ll be inking and printing madly over the weekend. Thank you so much for the feedback!

• ChaseMcEvers October 2, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I think this is a very nice print! 🙂

1. Nancy Power October 2, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Hi Chase,
      Thank you very much! This is just a quick proof to see if things are registering ok. I will post the final colourway soon. Glad you like it!