Final (duck) leg of work for my exhibition

I still have six more prints to do for my exhibition and here is the progress of the first three of those. A white duck, a Tufted duck and a tree and water scene from the Lake District. There’s another Lake District one to do and two small flower based images…all before the 4th June. Oh how my hand and back are aching! I love doing this though, so when I’m in ‘flow’ I really don’t notice at all. Mixing the right colours has proved to be a, shall we say, challenge, and can take easily half an hour alone. Its all coming together nicely though and I have a stack of framed prints ready and waiting to be taken to the gallery.

The first two stages of the White duck:

 

The first two stages of the Tufted Duck, can you see him starting to appear?

And the first two stages of the Lake District scene. This one I am doing dark to light, as I did my snow scene prints a while ago. It gives more depth to the colours for some images, although mixing the right colour can be a very time consuming process! This one will look very different when it’s finished.

Apologies for the colour representation! These are too big to scan and the light here is variable to say the least, darn English weather!  I’ll post some better photos of the finished prints when they are done.

Dried flower heads finished

After a lot of careful carving and a little procrastinating, I have finally finished this series of three dried flower heads. One of each is at the framers now and I can’t wait to see what they will look like all dolled up, so to speak. I learnt a lot in doing these, mostly that I should have planned them a little more thoroughly, with regard to each colour layer, but also that I could have been less subtle with the colours. I think I could have been a bit bolder with the contrasts, as once the darker tones were laid down, the lighter ones seem to have diminished quite a bit. That is the thing with making reduction prints – you’ve just got to trust your judgement to a certain extent, but also to learn with each print. Once it’s printed, that’s it!

Penultimate colour printed

Yes, this is taking a while.

Note to self: do one print at a time, not three. Second note to self: plan things properly, don’t tell yourself that you can keep all the information you need in your head. You can’t.

I am nearly there though, just the darkest shadows to do, but that does obviously mean more carving and the index finger on my right hand has gone a bit numb already. But then these will be done and off to the framers on Saturday. Hurrah! I will get much better photos taken when these are finished and framed. The light here is not so good, what with the incessant rain…

 

It’s slow, but it is progress…

I’ve been busy in my ‘day job’ so haven’t had as much time as I would like to  move along with these prints. As I am using the reduction method I am being extra careful about what I am cutting away, and that is partly what is taking me so long! These are going to be very subtle but once the darker tones are on there I think they will look more three dimensional. These are with the second colour printed so now the highlights are starting to pop out.